Zeiss has introduced a Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens with autofocus support for full-frame mirrorless cameras made by Sony.
The new Batis-series lens is the widest model in the lineup and sure a great welcome for landscape and architecture photographers. The brand new wide-angle prime optic features an OLED screen, just like its siblings.
The first two Batis models are the 25mm f/2 and the 85mm f/1.8 as these optics deliver a very high image quality and provides the same dust and weather seals.
Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens officially announced
The super wide optic is designed for A7-series full-frame cameras and also compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless with APS-c sized image sensor and it will deliver a 35mm focal length equivalent of approximately 27mm.
According to the press text, the release date of the product is in May 2016. The lens will cost $1,499 in US. Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens will ship along with a detachable lens hood.
The Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens comprises 11 elements in 10 groups, and four of those elements are aspheric on both sides. Whereas maximum aperture stands at f/2.8, the minimum one is f/22. The design of the lens is based on Distagon.
The lens provides a minimum focus distance of 0.25m/9.8in. Weighing in at 330g/0.74lb it measures 80mm/3.1in in length. The product comes with a 77mm filter thread. Just like the other Batis models, the optic is weather sealed and it provides protection against dust and moisture.
- Focal length –18 mm
- Aperture range — f/2.8 — f/22
- Lens elements / groups — 11/10
- Focusing range — 0.25 m (9.8 “) — infinity
- Free Working distance — 0.17 m (6.7 “) — infinity
- Angular field (diag. / horiz. / vert.) — 99° / 90° / 67°
- Diameter of image field — 43.3 mm (1.7 “)
- Coverage at close range (MOD) — 227 x 340 mm (8.9 x 13.4 “)
- Image ratio at MOD — 1:9.5
- Filter thread — M77 x 0.75
- Max. diameter (with lens shade) — 100 mm (3.9 “)
- Diameter of the focus ring — 78 mm (3.1 “)
- Length (without lens caps) — 80 mm (3.1 “)
- Length (with lens caps) – 95 mm (3.7 “)
- Weight (without lens caps) — 330 g (0.74 lbs)
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".