Samyang has finally unveiled the company’s first lenses that support autofocus. Samyang 14mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4 are the first two optics comes with autofocus technology that are aimed at Sony FE-mount mirrorless cameras.
The first Samyang lenses with autofocus support will be offered in Sony’s full-frame mirrorless cameras. Both models are claimed to be fully compatible with contrast-detect as well as phase-detect AF systems.
Both the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses come with a filter diameter measuring 67mm and a minimal design. These products have a metal-housing. The focusing system is internal and, as usual, this means that the front element will remain in place when focusing.
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses announced with Autofocus Technology
According to the South Korean company, the new 14mm and 50mm are the widest and brightest lenses in their class and offer superb quality images to photographers.
The optical technology provides aspherical lenses to be included in both lenses to minimise aberration and unnecessary light dispersion, delivering high resolution from the centre to the corners of the image
The 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC prime is great for cityscapes, landscapes, interiors, architecture, and other photography types that require a wide focal length. On the other hand, the 50mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC prime can be used for portrait photography even in low-light conditions.
- These will be the first autofocus lenses in over 40 years for Samyang.
- Both 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC and 50mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC are specifically designed to work with full frame mirrorless cameras in Sony E mount.
- The 67mm filter diameter is the result of years of R&D for best handling, by adding stability to the photo-taking experience.
- The 14mm f/2.8 is the widest angle available on the market.
- Based on Samyang Optics’ optical technology, aspherical lenses have been included in both lenses to minimize aberration and unnecessary light dispersion.
- These new 14mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4 are compatible with both phase detect and contrast detect sensors to operate fast and accurate focus detection.
Watch the AF test video of Samyang AF 50mm f/1.4 FE lens on Sony a7RII
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses will be exhibited at the Photo & Imaging 2016 Show in Seoul. Price details are unknown at the moment.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".