The EOS M5 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera officially announced by Canon.
The new camera features a 24.2 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and Dual Pixel CMOS AF. Canon’s EOS M5 has a DIGIC 7 processor and a built-in 2.36M-dot EVF. It also has a DSLR-level AF speed and accuracy, 9fps continuous shooting, and Full HD 60p movies.
The 3-inch 1.62M-dot touchscreen tilts up by 85° and downward by 180°. It supports touch-focusing even when using the EVF. Wi-Fi and NFC are offered along with low energy Bluetooth that provides a continuous connection.
The Canon EOS M5 will start shipping from November 2016. The price of the camera will be $979 for body-only. It will sell for $1099 with the EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM or with the just-announced EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM for $1479.
Canon EOS M5 announced with 24MP Dual Pixel AF sensor and built-in EVF
The new mirrorless camera from Canon features Combination IS with in-camera 5-axis image stabilization. While capturing video this is a first in the Canon EOS series. With a compatible lens attached, Combination IS leverages optical IS and in-camera digital IS to help create tremendously smooth videos.
The DIGIC 7 Image Processor makes the 5-axis IS possible even with lenses that do not contain IS, because the in-camera image stabilization functions independently to help reduce camera shake when shooting videos.
Additionally, the EOS M5 camera shoots impressive time-lapse videos. The camera also allows for easy panning by setting the optimal shutter speed after analyzing the camera’s panning speed and how fast the subject is moving.
Canon EOS M5 Technical Specifications
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, ISO 100–25600.
- Fast and smooth Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you capture stills and shoot video with quick and precise autofocus.
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 7.0 fps (up to 9.0 fps with AF Lock) and new DIGIC 7 Image Processor with improved AF tracking performance.
- Full HD 60p helps capture fast-moving subjects and brilliant results in MP4 format.
- Digital IS with 5-axis image stabilizationivwhen shooting movies plus increased image stabilization with both lens optical IS and in-camera digital IS when shooting with an IS lens.
- Built-in high-resolution EVF (approx. 2,360,000 dots) with new Touch and Drag AF lets you manually move the AF frame displayed for more precise focusing in different shooting situations.
- Intuitive touch screen 3.2 tilt-type (85° up/180° down) LCD monitor (approx. 1,620,000 dots) enables flexible positioning and clear viewing.
- Easily customize functions while shooting using the Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, Dial Function Button and Exposure Compensation Dial.
- Built-in Wi-Fi®v and NFCvi allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos.
- Equipped with Bluetooth®iii Smart for smooth pairing with a compatible smartphone by powering on both devices for easy photo sharing and remote control possibilities.
- Shorter camera startup timevii and interval time between each image capture for a more efficient shooting experience.
- Compatible with EF-M lenses as well as the full line of EFviii and EF-Sviii lenses and Speedlites for expanded creativity.
Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens
- Canon’s first EF-M high-zoom power lens covering a broad range of shooting scenes with a high-zoom ratio of up to 8.3x (29–240mm equivalent).
- Compact and lightweight design allows for easy portability.
- Optical design helps provide excellent image quality across a broad zoom range comparable to the EF-S 18–135mm f/3.5–5.6 IS USM lens.
- Maximum magnification of 0.31x at focal length 150mm.
- Image Stabilizer effect at up to 4ixstops of shake correction helps capture sharp images.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".