Metabones released a new 0.50x Speed Booster adapter for the Pentax Q mirrorless camera. It’s called the “Devil’s Speed Booster” because it permits a world record f/0.666 lens speed when a f/1.2 lens is attached. Even “ordinary” f/1.4 lenses will give you f/0.7 output.
The unusual nickname apparently stems from the fact that the new adapter boasts a record-breaking f/0.666 aperture and a 0.5x magnification. Like all Metabones Speed Boosters, the Speed Booster Q666 is optimised to fully account for the camera’s filter stack located near the sensor surface. This is especially critical at the maximum aperture of f/0.666. As a result, a huge range of optics, from vintage film lenses to the latest digital designs, will function flawlessly when adapted to any Pentax Q camera. Planned lens mounts for the Speed Booster Q666 include a Pentax-K version and a Nikon F/G version with what Metabones claim to be “the most advanced Nikon G aperture adjustment mechanism in the industry.”
The Speed Booster Q666 is available from the Metabones website and its worldwide dealer network for $489.
Metabones Nikon G to Pentax Q Speed Booster Q666 0.50x specifications
- Model Code: MB_SPNFG-Q-BM1
- Color: Black Satin exterior; Black Matte interior
- Magnification: 0.50x
- Crop Factor for Pentax Q, Q10: 2.8x
- Crop Factor for Pentax Q7, Q-S1: 2.3x
- Maximum Output Aperture: f/0.666 (with f/1.2 lens attached)
- Rectilinear Distortion: < 0.666%
- Lens Elements/Groups: 6/4
- Length Reduction: 10.1 mm
- Supported Cameras: Pentax Q, Q10, Q7, Q-S1
- Camera Mount: Pentax Q-mount
- Image Format: 7.44 mm x 5.58 mm (1/1.7”)
- Lens Mounts: Nikon F/G
- Lens Compatibility: Any full-frame (36 mm x 24 mm format) or DX format (APS-C) lens with the appropriate mount can be used.
- Special Features: Long-throw clickless aperture ring on Nikon F/G version
- Dimensions: 27 x 76 x 72mm for Nikon F/G version
- Weight: 193 grams for Nikon F/G version
- Tripod Mount: Robust removable type with Arca Swiss compatibility