The Sony a7 III is the new entry-level full frame mirrorless camera sitting below the A9, A7R III and A7S II.
The A7 III offers a lot of Sony’s latest imaging technologies, including a new 24.2 megapixel Back-Illuminated Exmor R CMOS Image Sensor, expanded ISO range of 50-204800. Sensor and processor combination provides 15 stops of dynamic range, 4K video recording with full pixel readout, 10fps burst shooting. The full frame E-mount camera also has 5-axis 5-stop IBIS, 693 point auto-focus system covering 93% of the image area, Eye auto-focusing mode, a joystick for adjusting the focus point, and class-leading 710 shot battery life.
Sony A7 III will be available from April at a cost of $1999, body-only or will be available in a kit with the FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens. check pre-order links at Amazon | B&H Photo Video | Adorama.
Sony A7 III Announced with 24MP sensor and 10fps burst : Price $1,998
The auto-focusing system in the Sony A7 III is the same as the A9 in terms of AF point and coverage – 693 AF points and 93% coverage. 10fps burst shooting is available with either the silent electronic shutter or the mechanical one, complete with AF/AE tracking, just like on the A7R II.
One key upgrade over the older A7 II is the excellent 710-shot battery life thanks to the NP-FZ100 battery, which is also used in the Sony A9 and A7R III cameras.
The A7 III’s video recording capabilities will also be key to its success, as it can record 4K movies (3840×2160 pixels) at 25/24fps, utilising a 6K full pixel readout, with 14 stops dynamic range and 4K Hybrid Log Gamma. It can also shoot 1080p footage and slow-motion 120/100fps video.
Sony A7 III Key Features
- Newly Developed Full-frame 24.2MP Back-Illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS Image Sensor with Evolved Image Processing
- Wide ISO range of 100 – 51200 (expandable to ISO 50 – 204800 for still images) and 15-Stop Dynamic Range at low sensitivities
- World Class AF system featuring 693 phase-detection AF points covering 93% of image area, 425 contrast AF points and fast and reliable Eye AF
- Continuous Shooting at up to 10 fps with either Mechanical Shutter or Silent Shooting and full Auto Focus/Auto Exposure tracking
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization with a 5.0 step shutter speed advantage
- High Resolution 4K Movie Shooting with full pixel readout and no pixel binning across full-width of full-frame sensor
- The longest rated battery life of any Mirrorless camera at 710 shots per charge
- Upgraded operability and functionality including addition of joystick for adjusting focus points, Dual SD Card Slots, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1) USB Type-C™ Terminal and more
Sony A7 III Hands-on First Impression Videos
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".