Olympus announces a series of new firmware updates that are available immediately for several of its mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.
All three cameras get a new Bleach Bypass Art Filter and added support for the Panasonic Leica 200mm F2.8 Power OIS lens.
Olympus Releases Major Firmware Update for OM-D E-M1 II, E-M5 II and Pen-F
New Functions and Improved Performance Are Delivered Through Firmware Version 2.0 for OM-D E-M1® Mark II, Version 3.0 for PEN-F®, and Version 4.0 for OM-D E-M5 Mark II
OM-D E-M1 Mark II Firmware Version 2.0 Details
1. Improved Pro Capture Mode functionality
Pro Capture Mode provides lag-free shooting so users can capture high-quality, full-resolution images at precise moments without compromise. Pro Capture buffers a running series of JPEG and RAW images when users press the shutter release halfway. With Firmware Version 2.0, the maximum number of pre-shutter frames that can be recorded once the shutter button is fully pressed has increased from 14 to 35.
Additionally, a new display icon shows users that they have initiated Pro Capture Mode and the camera is currently buffering frames.
All attachable lenses are now compatible with Pro Capture H (focus locks after first image is buffered).
|Lens||Pro Capture L||Pro Capture H|
|Olympus Micro Four Thirds System standard lenses||Yes||Yes|
|Other Micro Four Thirds System standard lenses||No||Yes|
|Four Thirds System standard lenses||No||Yes|
|Lenses without electrical contacts (MF only)||Yes||Yes|
2. Focus Stacking now supports the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12–100mm F4.0 IS PRO
Firmware Version 2.0 now allows the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12–100mm F4.0 IS PRO to support in-camera focus stacking. Additionally, seven other lenses support focus stacking, including the M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO, ED 30mm F3.5 Macro, ED 60mm F2.8 Macro, ED 300mm F4.0 IS PRO, ED 7–14mm F2.8 PRO, ED 12–40mm F2.8 PRO, and ED 40–150mm F2.8 PRO.
3. Small AF Target setting added to S-AF and C-AF
In response to feedback from Olympus users looking for a greater level of precision when choosing a specific AF target, Small AF Targets have been added to the single target (1-point) AF area.
4. In-body Fisheye Correction when using M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO
Fisheye Distortion Correction is now available in-camera so that the M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO can be used as a wide-angle lens without the fisheye effect. Fisheye Correction effects can be viewed by the user in real time on the rear monitor or EVF before shooting.
5. The magnify setting now offers a 100-percent enlargement ratio for use during image playback
Due to Olympus user feedback, pixel size display has been added to the magnification ratio options, making it possible to review images at a 1:1 pixel ratio.
6. New Flicker Scan function removes flickering when using the electronic shutter
The Flicker Scan function allows users to preview the scene and choose the proper shutter speed to avoid flickering, a phenomenon that is common when using the camera’s electronic shutter under fluorescent or LED light sources.
- Continuous AF (C-AF) performance has been improved.
- AF response has been improved when using back-button focus AF settings with the AEL/AFL button.
- IS performance has been improved when shooting video, enabling more natural camera work (IS-equipped lenses require simultaneously released firmware update).
- Tethered shooting responsiveness and stability using Olympus Capture has been improved, providing an easier shooting workflow.
- The remaining battery level icon has been fine-tuned.
PEN-F Firmware Version 3.0 Details
1. Monochrome and Color Profile Control settings can be saved onto camera via computer
It is now possible to save Monochrome and Color Profile Control settings in images recorded on the PEN-F to the camera via a computer. Using the latest Olympus Digital Camera Updater (Ver. 2.1), simply select the image with the profile you want to use and save the settings to the camera.
2. Shading effects in Monochrome Profile Control are available in Color Profile Control and Color Creator
Due to popular demand, shading effects have been added to Color Profile Control and Color Creator for a wider range of photographic expression.
OM-D E-M5 Mark II Firmware Version 4.0 Details
1. In-Camera Focus Stacking function
The Focus Stacking function available on the Tough TG-5 and OM-D E-M1 Mark II is now available on the OM-D E-M5 Mark II. The focus is shifted in half-pixel increments while capturing eight images, which are then composited to form a single image that is in focus from the foreground to the background. A total of eight lenses are supported (the same lenses supported by OM-D E-M1 Mark II Firmware Version 2.0).
Common Features for OM-D E-M1 Mark II, PEN-F, and OM-D E-M5 Mark II
1. New Bleach Bypass Art Filter option
The Bleach Bypass Art Filter included in the OM-D E-M10 Mark III (released in September 2017) is now available with these firmware updates. This option replicates the bleach bypass effect used to develop film creating images with a beautiful metallic sheen.
2. Support for Panasonic LEICA® DG ELMARIT 200mm/F2.8/POWER O.I.S. interchangeable lens
This firmware update improves the compatibility with the Panasonic LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm/F2.8/POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200) interchangeable lens.
Firmware updates for cameras can be found at the following links:
For Olympus PEN-F
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".